Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Greek-Style Shrimp Scampi

By popular demand, here is the recipe.  It was a hit at my house! I served it with garlic bread.  It would also go great with a glass of wine. If you want a healthier version, serve with whole wheat pasta.



Cook Time: 15 minutes        Servings: 4

Ingredients:
Salt
1 pound of linguine
1 pound of medium or large shrimp, peeled and devained, tails removed
Black pepper
1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes (I did not use because Ezra had it for dinner)
2 fresh oregano sprigs, finely chopped (I used about a teaspoon of dried oregano)
Handful of pitted kalamata olives, chopped (I am not an olive fan so I don't use)
1/2 cup of wine
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
Handful of fresh parsley leaved chopped (I used about a tablespoon of dried parsley)
1 cup of Feta cheese crumbles (I used a little more because I love feta)

Directions:
1. Cook the pasta al dente in a large covered pot of water with a little salt. Heads up: You will need some of the pasta cooking water before you drain the pasta.
2. Season shrimp with salt and pepper
3. Heat oil in a deep skillet and brown garlic slices. Remove the garlic and reserve.
4. Add the shrimp and cook for about 3-4 minutes.  Add the red peeper flakes, oregano, olives, wine, and lemon zest and cook together for a couple more minutes. Remove from heat.
5. Add a ladle of the starchy pasta cooking water to the sauce, then add the lemon juice. Add the drained pasta to the skillet. Let the pasta absorb the juices for a minute, then toss the feta, parsley, and reserved garlic slices.
6. Use tongs to toss the pasta together and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment